Price hikes are double whammy for pet owners who are crushed by inflation
March 19, 2023
Improved features, increased transparency
The SAC Coalition tool is a convenient way for organizations (grantors, state and local federations, researchers, etc.) to be able to view and utilize data from shelter/rescue organizations who opt-in to join their Coalition, preventing shelters/rescues to have to enter their data on multiple data collection sites. Over the past year we have conducted focus groups and individual feedback sessions with Coalition managers and shelters/rescues alike on how to improve the tool and increase transparency. Here are highlights of some of the improvements that have already been made and what’s ahead.
– Coalitions are now required to provide specifics on how they will use your data and who you can contact with questions
– With staff/volunteer transitions, we want to make sure you know who your data is shared with, that’s why twice a year the Authorized User for your organization will receive a reminder on what Coalitions you are opted-in to
– The loophole that previously excluded Coalition managers from the Data Use Agreement that all other SAC data requestors are required to comply with has been removed and all SAC data use is now held to the same standard including requiring that any data shared publicly is done either in aggregate or without identifying any person, individual animal, organization, or shelter. Keeping with our mission of neutrality, data must also not be used to rate, rank, score, or compare a shelter or organization.
– Shelters can now opt-in to share Community Services data with their Coalition managers, not just Intake/Outcome data
– Shelters can now manage their permissions on which databases they share and which Coalitions they share data with
– More customization on what data shelters share with Coalitions including:
+ Selecting date ranges (note: currently when you opt-in to share your data with a Coalition it will share ALL of your historical data within SAC, not just from the time you join and going forward)
+ Selecting specific data fields like intake types, outcomes, etc. (note: currently, all data fields will be shared with a Coalition when you opt-in
– Allowing shelters within a Coalition to view member data (note: currently, only Coalition admins can view data that their members submit. This change would create another Coalition type that would allow all members of the Coalition to view each other’s data)
What hasn’t changed:
– Coalition admins can still view, download, use, analyze, and access all Coalition features and data within their Coalition, as long as they remain compliant with the transparency improvements outlined above
– The process for shelters entering their data into SAC hasn’t changed and when you join a Coalition, your data will be shared automatically.
– Our goal is to make data entry as fast and easy as possible for shelters, which is why we have created an API where you can opt-in to have your data automatically transferred from your shelter software into the SAC database. You only need to sign-up once and you’ll never have to manually enter data again! Read more here.
March 10, 2023
March 10, 2023